I suppose I’m asking that question myself. I could buy an eBeam, Mimio or Onfinity Interactive Whiteboard and a cheap projector. Both my classrooms would then have one but over the summer, since my course on IWBs and since meeting representatives from Promethean and Smart and learning of all the advantages and disadvantages of all their products, I think it’s time I took a fresh look at the prices out there now.
Article continues below…
Most importantly, I will be comparing like for like. I was criticised, rightly, for comparing Promethean’s top-end IWB with an eBeam. I should have compared Promethean’s mid-range package which is on a fixed surface much like eBeam or other portable solutions.
So…to recap on prices. I am estimating the costs of the following parts of an IWB:
- A Projector – A decent one should not cost more than €700 these days. I do not see the advantage of a short throw projector, shadow-wise, having experienced a similar amount of shadow. Adding in a ceiling mount, we’ll bring it to €1,000.
- Speakers – €40-50 max
- Interactive Whiteboard Software – There’s a few decent ones out there for about €50
- The board itself – this may include all or some of the above.
- Promethean: Includes projector, board, speakers & software: around €3700
- Smart: Includes all the above: €3,700
- 3M: Includes all the above: €3,500
- EBeam: Board (€900 wireless) + Projector + Software + Speakers: €2,000
- Mimio: Board (€900 wireless) + Projector + Software + Speakers: €2,000
- Onfinity: Sold as a package with Rainbow Education: €2,600